Family History in the Hundred of West Derby
It is currently 23:16:32 Wed 18/Oct/2017

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Juno Street
PostPosted: 16:19:03 Mon 09/Oct/2017 

Member #: 0
Dear all,

Hope someone might be able to help!
I am trying to find out more details about the last year's of Juno Street's existence, formerly located in Edge Hill and demolished as part of the slum clearances in the 1960s.
It seems as though one woman was living there on her own during its last year (1969). Does anyone have suggestions for records that might relate to this? Are there for instance records kept of where people moved to as part of the Compulsary Purchase Order?
And, in general, could you recommend records for mid20th century family searches? (I have tried the phone books already.)

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Juno Street
PostPosted: 16:41:53 Mon 09/Oct/2017 

Member #: 8038
Hi

Welcome to the forum we've discussed this address elsewhere. As regards details of residents still living there in a particular year the electoral rolls can be useful for this they are available to view in the Liverpool Record Office by appointment. Unfortunately there are no online searchable records at the moment to do a general search to see where someone moved to. Council records about demolition and rehousing of people are unlikely to be available. They were probably shredded. There have been many restructures, moves and closures over the years within council departments. Old records were usually shredded to ensure confidential information didn't go walkies. If any do exist they would be too recent to be made available.

Blue

NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM

PostPosted: 07:50:15 Tue 10/Oct/2017 
Site Admin

Member #: 6532
Hi, welcome to the forum. I've seen this query recently, perhaps on a Facebook Group, what replies did you get there?

Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

PostPosted: 08:27:27 Tue 10/Oct/2017 

Dear Blue and MaryA,

Thank you for your replies!

Yes you're right, I have posted on Facebook (the Friends of Edge Hill and Wavertree group) before, and have asked questions about specific family research details on forums as well. I am still trying to familiarize myself with the UK record system, as I'm used to different kinds of records in The Netherlands. I am aware of the fact that I'm kind of working on a reversed genealogy, and I completely understand that the most recent records are rightly sealed, or in the case of the Council demolition records confidential and therefore probably shredded.

As a researcher and writer, I am very interested in trying to understand more about the first and last years of Juno Street's existence, and particularly the people who lived there. I have indeed checked the Electoral Rolls when I was staying in Liverpool, and that's how I found out that there was only one woman (with/without children) left in the street's final year (1969). This fascinates me, and I would love to learn more about her. But of course I really don't want to offend anyone by my investigative curiosity!

With regard to FB: yes I have actually received some really helpful information there, and have ultimately been able to talk to someone who used to live in the street. I find the (digital) communities in Liverpool really wonderful!

PostPosted: 10:29:25 Tue 10/Oct/2017 
Site Admin

Member #: 6532
juno-liverpool wrote:
With regard to FB: yes I have actually received some really helpful information there,

If any of the responses you have received are relevant, please ensure you share with us in order to avoid duplication of research.

Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

PostPosted: 10:52:02 Tue 10/Oct/2017 

Yes sure.

The man I have talked to about his youth in Juno Street was Joe Mitchell.
I know the family of Thomas Debnam, chimney sweeper, has lived in the street for a long time.
Know about the Satellite Vaults pub on the corner with Harboard Street, a club called the Starlight, and both Morrows and Stanley Goldstone optician on the corners with Wavertree Road.

People talked about the Bragg family, and someone mentioned having known Pat Ronan who lived in Juno Street, I'm waiting to hear more about this now.

The name of the woman living on her own in the street in 1969 was Bridget Banks (1907-1982).

J.

PostPosted: 11:08:31 Tue 10/Oct/2017 

Furthermore, going back to the when the street was first built, I am looking into the Keeley family who lived in Juno Street in at least 1861-1871: Patrick Keeley, railway foreman (who was also chairman of the Burial Society at St Anne, I have come across many newspaper articles about his position) and Sarah Keeley, midwife. They were both buried at St Anne's Church in Edge Hill. Especially the fact that Sarah was a midwife (or called herself so, in the censuses and street directories) I find interesting. It would be great to find out even more about them / find current relatives who might know more about their lives and occupations.

J.

PostPosted: 22:09:00 Tue 10/Oct/2017 
Site Admin

Member #: 4335
juno-liverpool wrote:
Furthermore, going back to the when the street was first built, I am looking into the Keeley family who lived in Juno Street in at least 1861-1871: Patrick Keeley, railway foreman (who was also chairman of the Burial Society at St Anne, I have come across many newspaper articles about his position) and Sarah Keeley, midwife. They were both buried at St Anne's Church in Edge Hill. Especially the fact that Sarah was a midwife (or called herself so, in the censuses and street directories) I find interesting. It would be great to find out even more about them / find current relatives who might know more about their lives and occupations.

J.

As far as I am aware St. Anne's Roman Catholic Church, Overbury Street did not have a burial ground? The records you found may of been from the Libri Defunctorum registers which will be a funeral service held at the Church. Correct me if I am mistaken?.

PostPosted: 05:25:19 Wed 11/Oct/2017 

Member #: 8401
Any help?

PostPosted: 13:52:54 Thu 12/Oct/2017 

Yes, thank you Bert!

Someone I know in Liverpool contacted St Anne's church before, and although they don't have a graveyard anymore, there are people buried underneath the church, though the whereabouts of the burial registers are unknown. I had found this list, which is put together with information "taken from records of funeral services that took place in various local churches and which indicated that the burial was to take place at St Anne's":
http://www.liverpoolhistoryprojects.co. ... stanne.htm

PostPosted: 14:38:42 Thu 12/Oct/2017 

The snippet is from a report in the Liverpool Mercury, May 18, 1857.

Internments at Necropolis and St James.

I can't find evidence that St Anne's was closed near to the above date, or cemetery was extended, later internments may have gone in with existing graves.

PostPosted: 16:12:51 Thu 12/Oct/2017 

PostPosted: 20:49:10 Fri 13/Oct/2017 

Hi all - scrolling through all the forum feeds and I like the subject name of this thread, what a great street name! Makes me want to learn more about this street :D

PostPosted: 08:20:32 Tue 17/Oct/2017 

I like its name too, I guess for the same reason :)

Actually, I am still trying to find out the origin of the street's name, as in that time (1854) it was quite an unusual name, and I don't see a pattern with other surrounding streets either.
Perhaps there's a Welsh connection (though this is before the 'invasion of Welsh builders in Edge Hill'), as the agents (working for the Liverpool Building Company) were Messrs. Williams and Jones (28 St James Road). Does anyone have access to the book The Welsh Builder on Merseyside, and able to check whether there's more information to be found about them, or a specific builder in connection to Juno Street? The plot of land was sold by the Liverpool Building Company in 1851, and the first mention of Juno St is in 1854.

PostPosted: 08:24:16 Tue 17/Oct/2017 

And thank you Bert for looking up that newspaper article! Interesting to read who attended the funeral, and that he was 'held in high esteem'.
What would a 'foreman in the outdoor locomotive department' have done exactly? Would that have been at Edge Hill Station?

PostPosted: 10:44:47 Tue 17/Oct/2017 

Possibly Edge Hill or wherever repairs were carried out near by?

"foreman, loco; locomotive foreman, locomotive yard foreman ; running shed foreman, shed foreman controls staff of locomotive engine shed or yard; arranges and supervises work, e.g. cleaning and preparation of engines for drivers, despatch of engines at times scheduled, arranging staff rosters, etc.; personally supervises engine shed work"

http://doot.spub.co.uk/code.php?value=700

PostPosted: 11:23:30 Tue 17/Oct/2017 

Member #: 31
Juno Street: an old map shows that Helena Street was on the same side of Wavertree Road, and on the other side there were Cicely, Winifred, Janet and Dorothy Streets, with Lily and Daisy not far away (although they might relate more to Lilac, as I don't know of any ladies named Lilac)!
D

PostPosted: 11:36:30 Tue 17/Oct/2017 

In Roman mythology, Juno is the Goddess of Marriage and in modern times, June is known as the bridal month - this was the reason I picked the name Juno for my film company! Seems a unique name for a street in Liverpool though

PostPosted: 15:06:43 Tue 17/Oct/2017 

Yes, there is/was definitely many female streets around there, which is great! Juno St was the first to be built, Helena, Sophia, Janet etc came a few years later.
In 1851 Liverpool did have some female streets of course already, I guess mainly royal names such as Charlotte, Victoria, Elizabeth. And for instance a "Lydia Ann Street", named after the wife of George Perry (1719 – 3 February 1771), an English engineer, ironmaster, merchant, draughtsman and cartographer. So there were some, but not many.

I'm still wondering about who this "Juno" might have been (I don't think there was a mythological connection here, there's an area with streets named after Roman gods/goddesses, but those were built much later in Everton).
Perhaps a relative of the street's builder..?