Liverpool & South West Lancashire FHS

Family History in the Hundred of West Derby
It is currently 00:48:21 Tue 17/Oct/2017

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: FTM 2014
PostPosted: 15:50:43 Thu 10/Aug/2017 

Member #: 5977
Hi :D Been away from here for a while and afraid I am a bit behind on FTM news :roll:

I remember that Mackiev was taking over but lost touch with it all. Anyway I have FTM 2014 installed but never got around to activating the free sub :? Now that I am trying to activate I just keep getting a message telling me 'no internet connection' or that a firewall may be blocking it.

I have had this checked and all appears ok.
I can't even use the go online command in FTM as I get the same message?

Any ideas anyone? Have I missed the boat :shock:
Do I need to purchase a new edition?
Hubby tried reinstalling it all but same thing happening.

I have been on help at Mackiev.. but so much info and nothing that seems to answer this :wink:

Thanks
Simone

Any census information within this post is Crown Copyright from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Post subject: Re: FTM 2014
PostPosted: 18:32:32 Thu 10/Aug/2017 
Site Admin

Member #: 6532
Sorry I don't use it so haven't any answers, but I would have thought there might be a Facebook Group, you know what forum members are like - far more helpful than official sites :lol: :lol:

Helpful guy on this site has posted an article about some of the precautions you should take, perhaps it might cover what you need.
https://www.facebook.com/search/str/mac ... YjRjIn0%3D

Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

PostPosted: 19:25:25 Thu 10/Aug/2017 

Thanks Mary.. will have a look around. Have tried all the troubleshooting they suggest with no luck. May have to contact them :?

Simone x

Any census information within this post is Crown Copyright from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

PostPosted: 19:19:18 Fri 11/Aug/2017 

Member #: 8811
simone wrote:
Thanks Mary.. will have a look around. Have tried all the troubleshooting they suggest with no luck. May have to contact them :?

Simone x

There is a very good Family Tree Maker Users Facebook group with hundreds of posts. I was on 2014 and am now using 2017. This is why - the connection services from Ancestry.com are no longer active (they were suspended on July 17th, 2017). You must upgrade to FTM 2017 to restore connection services. This was a planned deprecation. Information is found here:
https://support.mackiev.com/731351-Ance ... r-Editions

Good luck, John

PostPosted: 20:05:37 Fri 11/Aug/2017 

Thanks John :)

I don't suppose it helps that I changed my email address too.. so not had any updates :roll:
Looks like I need to upgrade then :wink:

Thanks again
Simone x

PostPosted: 23:42:36 Fri 11/Aug/2017 

Member #: 8811
simone wrote:
Thanks John :)

I don't suppose it helps that I changed my email address too.. so not had any updates :roll:
Looks like I need to upgrade then :wink:

Thanks again
Simone x

I'm afraid so. You obviously don't have to update, only if you are syncing with a tree on Ancestry. Apparently a lot of people dont; I do. Obviously make sure you back everything up, export it to about 10 different locations (just to make sure :lol: ). Upgrade went well for me and I like a couple of the new features, especially family colour coding. Go for it :wink: .

PostPosted: 08:09:33 Sat 12/Aug/2017 

I am not bothered about syncing but like the sound of the colour coding. I contacted Ancestry via FB and they said I should still get the free sub :wink: so all good :)

Thanks

Simone

PostPosted: 08:29:25 Sat 12/Aug/2017 
Site Admin

Member #: 6532
simone wrote:
I should still get the free sub :wink:

FREE is one of the favourite words of us family historians as so many other things cost so much!! Grab it while the going is good, but can't stress Johnny's advice enough, before you do it be safe!

Get a gmail email account - free and use the Drive on there but don't forget that all your old emails take your space so regularly delete your old stuff to keep it clear.
Flashdrives are so cheap these days and you can get one up to about 16 gig for buttons compared to what external drives used to be, so you can do a back up and then another next time before the need to delete to make space

Most of these would have enough room to back up everything, including your images, I have thousands of census images attached to mine that would take for ever to collect over again.

Bet there are other suggestions too, I'm probably taking to the already initiated but if we post these suggestions they might be useful to somebody else too.

Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

PostPosted: 08:38:12 Sat 12/Aug/2017 

Yes... free the best word in genealogy!

Backups I am pretty good with.. have them all over the place!
keep thinking I should look at Dropbox :wink
Thanks
Simone

PostPosted: 22:17:10 Mon 28/Aug/2017 

Member #: 8595
You can get a 1Tb (terabyte) external hard drive for around £50 nowadays as well - very helpful if you have hundreds of images.

Speaking from my own experience in the past, I would stress that if you use a flash drive/external hard drive - it is probably safest to have an online backup as well - just in case your external drive runs into problems. I personally use a family tree specific gmail account as you get 15Gb of free storage space - and if you use that up you can always create another Gmail account with another 15Gb :wink: