Liverpool & South West Lancashire FHS

Family History in the Hundred of West Derby
It is currently 23:18:55 Wed 18/Oct/2017

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20:53:00 Sun 08/Oct/2017 

Member #: 8811
Hi all,

I'm trying to find information on my wife's great great grandfather. His name was James Butler, service number 728. I know he was stationed in Poona in India in 1852, as that is where his daughter, Johanna Butler was born, who is my wife's great grandmother. I have a copy of her baptismal record from Poona.

Would I have to visit the National Archives for more information about him? Everything I have is assumed. I know that he died before 1895 as Johanna's marriage certificate stated father as 'deceased'. There is a record in UK, Royal Hospital Chelsea Pensioner Soldier Service Records, 1760-1920, which gives him as being born in Ireland in 1813 with service from 1831 to 1852.

I know an awful lot about Johanna, just not James and Elizabeth (no known surname, mentioned on the baptismal record).

Many thanks, John

PostPosted: 22:07:09 Sun 08/Oct/2017 

Member #: 7639
Hi ...my maternal 2x great grandfather was in the royal artillery in the 1830s /50s..and I found him in the national archives records and sent of for his army records cost about £7 or so ....they arrived pretty quickly and had lots of information ...not sure of the reference to access but I'm sure one of the crew will advise .....

Ann :)

searching for...Jones..Riley..Taylor..Norbury..Murphy..Glover...Mawdsley...(Liverpool) Nicholas..Sinnett..Taylor(Pembrokeshire) Taylor(Yorkshire Liverpool) Maine(Kent Ireland)Smailes(Durham Rugby Liverpool Ohio)

PostPosted: 10:00:30 Mon 09/Oct/2017 

Member #: 31
Johnny
You are in luck. Findmypast have his discharge certificate online, showing date of birth (Leighton parish, Co. Carlow), previous occupation, conduct, date of discharge etc. He served for over 20 years, including in the West and East Indies. Separately they show him listed in indexes of soldiers in 1841 and 1851. He ended his career as a sergeant.
If you are not a subscriber you may be able to access FMP via a local library.

Daggers

PostPosted: 12:03:45 Mon 09/Oct/2017 
Site Admin

Member #: 6532

Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

PostPosted: 16:03:48 Mon 09/Oct/2017 

Member #: 8811
Wow thank you Mary. I have got FMP so will download it. I have also got some Canadian records for British Regimental Registers of Service and Chelsea Pensioner record.

Looking at the screenshot, it seems he was court martialed a few times!

Thanks again, and also to Daggers and Daisycakes.

John