Liverpool & South West Lancashire FHS

Family History in the Hundred of West Derby
It is currently 00:35:42 Sat 29/Apr/2017

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13:40:10 Sun 18/Nov/2012 

Member #: 5334
I've used Family Tree Maker for quite a number of years. When I upgraded the PC I had to upgrade my Family Tree Maker. It had changed a bit so it took me a while to get it sorted but I find it easy to use, and I'm not that wonderful on the PC as MaryA will agree!!

I do not link it to the Internet as I don't want my tree and trees for friends posted on Ancestry for all to see but it is easy to opt out.

PostPosted: 15:18:10 Sun 18/Nov/2012 

Member #: 7443
Hiya
I've used Family Tree Maker from the very beginning with version 3, it has been updated a lot since then! So have always been happy with using it and it allows me to do what I wish in organising my Family History research. Other people like other programmes, it's down to personal choice really. But because buying Family Tree Maker gives you free monthly usage to Ancestry is worth it even if you end up not liking the programme!

To answer your question, (I think!) it is very easy to add people to the tree, you start with blank boxes to fill your details in and you just click on the empty box for father to fill then mother and just keep going. You can add whatever information you want using the facts list which can then be viewed in your printed trees, or various lists to printout. There is options to add notes in a notepad style window, tasks and research notes to add items to. It is very easy to add photos for individuals. And using information add can print out Pedigree trees, descendant trees in various styles. various lists of facts, relationships etc. Family group sheets which I print out to add to my folders.

If you want to delete someone it is also quite straight forward to just delete the person and all their information, if you want to keep the person but detach from the family they are currently in to move them somewhere else is a little more complicated but can be done.

As Hilary mentioned Family Tree Maker and Ancestry link together (if you have a subscription) so hints will appear in the programme that will attach to resources in Ancestry but you can "switch" them off, I don't use them. Also if you are downloading your tree to Ancestry make sure it is kept private which means that others can't take off information from your tree without asking your permission first.

I hope this makes sense, it is sometimes very difficult explaining something to someone without it being in front of you both! I am happy to answer any other questions :) I'm not against any of the others just have always been happy with this one and see the need to swop but the free access to Ancestry is a good reason to buy the product.

Kathryn

PostPosted: 15:50:48 Sun 18/Nov/2012 

Member #: 7639
Well it arrived and 1 week early so great.....its a big box full of goodies....3 cd's familytree/create a website and back up and protect.. plus a little book of some 300 pages to help if you'd rather read the instructions than work it out on your computer.

I dont have my tree on the internet at all mainly because I've been bitten once or twice by those who just have added my family research onto their own tree and often into the wrong tree :roll:
I did contact someone once to let them know they had the wrong person (my husbands grandfather we have all of his details) in their tree but they were adamant they were right and got a little stroppy...so now I dont bother. :lol:
So I agree with Kathryn keep it private.

Ann :)

searching for...Jones..Riley..Taylor..Norbury..Murphy..Glover...Mawdsley...(Liverpool) Nicholas..Sinnett..Taylor(Pembrokeshire) Taylor(Yorkshire Liverpool) Maine(Kent Ireland)Smailes(Durham Rugby Liverpool Ohio)

PostPosted: 16:07:29 Sun 18/Nov/2012 
Site Admin

Member #: 6532
Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this, I may move them over to the "Reviews" board and change the "Book Reviews" to Books and Software - any thoughts?

Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives