Liverpool & South West Lancashire FHS

Family History in the Hundred of West Derby
It is currently 14:27:57 Fri 22/Sep/2017

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 17:07:14 Sun 18/Nov/2012 

Member #: 7743
MaryA wrote:
Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this, I may move them over to the "Reviews" board and change the "Book Reviews" to Books and Software - any thoughts?

Good notion Mary. There was a vacancy for a Software slot so to put it into Books and Software Reviews fits the bill.

While on the subject of family history software I have used Brother's Keeper for over a dozen years. I selected it from a 'highly-recommended' shortlist culled from web reviews and have never regretted my decision.

Written and maintained by the author, John Steed [no, not him with the bowler and the brolly], Brother's Keeper is on a single CD and currently costs $45 [abt £28.50] including airmail post from the US. The email Help-line can only be described as superb. The few problems I have encountered have been resolved within 24 hours, and every time it was me that was the problem!

Of course you don't get any freebie subs with it, but it is a very comprehensive, easy-to-use program. It does everything it says on the box and then some. Runs on all Windows versions and there's a 'try me' limited download for a free trial. http://www.bkwin.org/

And I am not on commission! :lol:

RIP 20 April 2015
Emery, McAnaspie/McAnaspri etc, Fry, McGibbon/McKibbion etc, Burbage, Butler, Brady, Foulkes, Sarsfield, Moon [Bristol & Cornwall].
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

PostPosted: 18:50:47 Sun 18/Nov/2012 

Member #: 7262
I agree with DS, BK is a great little prog.

I have been using it (with No complaints) since it was an ittybitty Dos prog on a Floppy Disc.

The (relatively) new itteration (on a CD) for Windows is the ideal Prog for All my Family History Data Files (even related Pictures).

A Big Thank You to Robert STEED the Writer & Copyright Owner. :D :D :D