Liverpool & South West Lancs Genealogy

Family History in the Hundred of West Derby
It is currently 09:54:40 Mon 27/Feb/2017

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 09:33:10 Tue 04/Jun/2013 
Site Admin

Member #: 8508
There is a free book available for novice and 'expert' alike and contains invaluable advice for those seeking information from overseas,especially the Imperial old world countries. Its a long book and a heck of a download (250+ .pdf pages !) However it has proved an invaluable aid in my searches to date covering as it does,India (before partition and the birth of Pakistan),modern Pakistan,Ceylon(Sri Lanka) and South Africa,Australia and Canada. The 'low countries' of Europe and the UK are also covered.
A very useful tool for anyone wanting to take the subject seriously.

Its here : (Please acknowledge the authors' efforts)

http://www.ceylondatabase.net/Genealogy.html

PostPosted: 11:37:09 Mon 10/Jun/2013 
Non Member

Member #: 8438
thanks for posting this VicMar1, I often see people asking about their past in the countries of ShriLanka, Pakistan etc.
I fell in love with the country of Ceylon as a child before it became Shri Lanka. I do realise things change with the times, but still people wish to search out their heritage.

PostPosted: 23:38:55 Sat 15/Jun/2013 
Site Admin

Member #: 8508
No probs Wendy. I hope that people will find the literature mentioned useful also?
I have struggled to find much of use for searching the early 20th C and with the East India and other trading companies being so active there are probably lots of people with connections there besides myself. :)