Liverpool & South West Lancashire FHS

Family History in the Hundred of West Derby
It is currently 00:39:31 Sat 29/Apr/2017

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13:58:30 Fri 20/Mar/2015 

Member #: 4690
Hi everyone Just been over to the League of Welldoers 119 Limekiln Lane to see there wall Plaque commemorating the W.W.1 dead taken from Penrhyn St. School. Not my William As he survived the war and served 21 years as a member of the royal artillery so onward and upward to the time when my Family History is finished (HA HA ) SO. I thought as Leslie the secretary of the L of W.D is researching all 64 Men on the roll of honour and she has done most of the Kings and a few others I thought I would get involved so here goes
1st William Highton Pte 12897 Cheshire Regiment 102 Co. Machine Gun Co. died 9th April 1917 aged 20 commemorated BailleulRd. East Cem. St.Laurent-Blagny son of William & Alice
42 Elias St.Kirkdale (Grandad George m. Esther Price from 113 Elias St.
2nd. John Banks ( no further trace )
3rd.John Cooper "
4th Edward Dagnall "
5th John Deegan "
6th Robert Diable "
7th John Hamilton "
8th William Johnson "
9th William McKenzie "
10th William McDougall 62 Buckingham St. Liverpool
son of William J. & Sarah A. McDougall
That's enough for now if anyone would like to help FEEL FREE all help will be acknowledged and the Legue of Welldoers will be very pleased

PostPosted: 15:19:52 Fri 20/Mar/2015 
Site Admin

Member #: 6532
Important additional information from George -

The Memorial was taken from Penrhyn School and reinstalled in the Lee Jones on the 11th of November 2014 by the Lord-lieutenant of Merseyside Dame Lorna Muirhead so I think they were all local lads who went to The school Leslie Black is the Chief Exec. of the Lee Jones.

As on our other Project for St Cyprians, it would be an advantage to have a separate post for each of these heroes, so I will create these and please add any information on to the individual post rather than this collective one.

Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

PostPosted: 20:30:02 Tue 24/Mar/2015 
Site Admin

PostPosted: 20:32:24 Tue 24/Mar/2015 
Site Admin

George also has a booklet that has been produced by the lady doing this research, which he was going to pass to me this afternoon, however in the midst of the Help Desk and also sorting out passing the above photograph to me, this appears to have been forgotten but I'm sure he will get it to me soon. Once I have, I will take scans so that you can see the sort of work that has already been done on some of the names.

PostPosted: 12:45:34 Tue 07/Apr/2015 

Member #: 7875
Just want to thank George Highton for helping to get the 'forum' wheels moving on something which has become so close to our hearts here at the League.

To reach the point we're currently at. we've used several different resources including the Penrhyn Street admissions registers. We soon realised from the age of some of the fallen that they couldn't possibly have attended the school which was built in 1912 but were more likely to have attended St Matthew's and St Polycarps, the 2 schools that were replaced by the new build.

If any members find themselves in our part of Liverpool and would like to see the Memorial plse give me a call 0151 207 1984 (office hrs).

Mary would you like another copy of the programme we printed for the rededication?

I've been invited to do a talk to the Liverpool Family History Group on 13th May at 6.45 so can bring a few 'spares' along then too.

Lesley Black

PostPosted: 19:41:23 Tue 07/Apr/2015 
Site Admin

Hi Lesley, I hadn't realised that the person looking after this was also a member - how great!

Thank you for the update on your research and we'll help as much as we can.

The programme had slipped on the floor last week and was picked up by Kathy not realising that it had been passed to me by George, I have it now and will scan it to show our other members, but thanks for the offer and we look forward to seeing you at our May meeting.

PostPosted: 19:58:22 Tue 07/Apr/2015 
Site Admin

Member #: 4335
Lesley Black wrote:
Just want to thank George Highton for helping to get the 'forum' wheels moving on something which has become so close to our hearts here at the League.

To reach the point we're currently at. we've used several different resources including the Penrhyn Street admissions registers. We soon realised from the age of some of the fallen that they couldn't possibly have attended the school which was built in 1912 but were more likely to have attended St Matthew's and St Polycarps, the 2 schools that were replaced by the new build.

If any members find themselves in our part of Liverpool and would like to see the Memorial plse give me a call 0151 207 1984 (office hrs).

Mary would you like another copy of the programme we printed for the rededication?

I've been invited to do a talk to the Liverpool Family History Group on 13th May at 6.45 so can bring a few 'spares' along then too.

Lesley Black

And don't forget the pictures of my Great Aunt Phoebe on a Derby and Joan outing to New Brighton with the League.

PostPosted: 10:15:53 Wed 08/Apr/2015 

Member #: 7875
:D

I'll make sure your Great Aunt Phoebe having a paddle is included

So looking fwd to May

Lesley

PostPosted: 09:48:44 Mon 15/Jun/2015 
Site Admin

I have added the remainder of the names for which no information has so far been gathered. Maybe we can pick up this project again and collect more details?

PostPosted: 14:18:22 Mon 07/Mar/2016 

Member #: 8768
MaryA, page 63 of the new Liverpool Family Historian you wrote "Our Forum is trying to help identify and create a short biography of those named on the Memorial and any input you could help with would be very welcome"

I'm not familiar with this memorial so came for a scout around. Nobody has posted here for almost a year or am I looking in the wrong place?

Povall Cheshire/Liverpool, Williams/Owens Caernarvon, Brown Liverpool/Cumberland/Ireland, Pritchard Liverpool, Atherton Liverpool, Banks Liverpool, Kelly IOM, Grimes/Botworth/Smith Wirral, Rice Manchester/Ireland, Lockley Manchester, Bowler Manchester.

PostPosted: 17:34:04 Mon 07/Mar/2016 
Site Admin

This is the place Barbara, unfortunately some of the names are rather difficult to identify and we sadly let them lapse. If there is any help you can give, I know it would be very welcome.

PostPosted: 19:04:48 Mon 07/Mar/2016 

Member #: 8768
Not unless one of my brickwalls is on it!!

The birth cert I got the other day for Maria Pritchard, she was born in Limekiln Lane hence my interest, sorry I can't help, I wish I could, are there no more details anywhere like service numbers or even which regiment they were in?

Povall Cheshire/Liverpool, Williams/Owens Caernarvon, Brown Liverpool/Cumberland/Ireland, Pritchard Liverpool, Atherton Liverpool, Banks Liverpool, Kelly IOM, Grimes/Botworth/Smith Wirral, Rice Manchester/Ireland, Lockley Manchester, Bowler Manchester.

PostPosted: 20:13:55 Mon 07/Mar/2016 
Site Admin

The photograph you see above is the total of what there is except for the probable link of each man to the school.