Liverpool & South West Lancashire FHS

Family History in the Hundred of West Derby
It is currently 03:18:12 Mon 19/Feb/2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15:46:36 Thu 03/Nov/2016 

Member #: 8038
There is no search facility with these records so it can be time consuming working through them. Use + and - to adjust size of the image, by minimising you get a lot of small images that you can scroll through quickly. You can also work through the images more quickly by entering a different image number and clicking enter or return to jump forward or back. It's a learning process getting around these records but you should start to get the hang of it after a while and get quicker.

To discover what image only collections are available on Family Search do the following:-

1. Go to Family Search https://familysearch.org/
2. Click on the Search heading
3. Within the Search options click on Catalog
4. Enter a place such as Liverpool
5. England, Lancashire, Liverpool should come up as an option click on that
6. Click Search.
7. You should now have a long list of resources

Many of these collections will not have images that can be viewed at home. You need to explore them by clicking on each title and looking for camera icons indicating that images are available. Click on each camera icon and wait to see if the image will appear. Some records you need to be signed in to view. Some records are only viewable at LDS centres. Some images are unavailable for other reasons. Check to see if the image can be downloaded. If an image of interest to you can be downloaded save a copy just in case access changes in the future.

The pictures below show the page for the link for St James' Cemetery. I've put red circles around the camera icons. Click on one of these icons and it will take you to the images. In my posts I've identified what is available to view at home. You may need to be signed in to view. Other camera icons relating to records I haven't mentioned may start to load then tell you to go to an LDS centre or use some other method.

Blue

NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM

Last edited by Blue70 on 14:29:34 Mon 03/Jul/2017, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 15:47:20 Thu 03/Nov/2016 

Member #: 8401
Cheers Blue, excellent heads up :D

Lynne,

click link, scroll down to Film Notes, to the right under Format, click camera icon.

works without logging in.

Posted same time as Blue.

PostPosted: 16:30:50 Thu 03/Nov/2016 

Sometimes you think you have the wrong collection but if you look at images say every 50 or 100 pages you can eventually find what was said to be in there. For example I've just looked at Birkenhead Cemetery. I wanted to look at C of E burials for 1946. The majority of the images in the collection I was looking at were RC burials. Going through I eventually found C of E burials starting in 1942 on page 782 of the 856 images.

Blue

NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM

PostPosted: 20:33:20 Wed 13/Dec/2017 

It looks like Family Search has now implemented the sign-in to search and view only access option for its records that it has mentioned on its site for a while. You'll need to register, it's free, remember to sign in before searching or using a Family Search link and don't let this put you off using the site as they have a lot of great free record collections.

Blue

NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM